Saturday 26 October 2013

Avatars: Why use them at all?

Hello, people! 
This is the first avatar I created for myself:


I first used this page because it brought memories of my childhood days when I would play endlessly on my bedroom floor with my brother... We would create lots of stuff and run to show our parents, who would congratulate us with an amazed look on their faces! So, using Lego's to create an avatar felt right for me as I was able to create something which I identified with and which in a way represented me. And I think this is one of the uses we can take into account if we ask our students to create avatars. The shiest ones will probably be the most grateful! Sometimes it is not so easy to open yourself to others, especially new people, and, if you use an avatar, it becomes easier to explain things.

Then, after I saw the avatars my classmates had made on another webpage called Xiibi.com, I kind of wanted one myself! So I made this one: 



I really hope you like it! What I liked about this page is that it allowed you to write your name and that it had some really extravagant elements to put into your avatar! Although I haven't used any really extravant thing, I do think they are great for creating different characters which your students can later use in a story (or the other way about, first write or read a story and then create different avatars for each character).

I had never created a blog, let alone an avatar! And I found it fun as it helps you to reflect on the things you like, you don't like, the things you can relate to and much more. If you haven't made one, try! I guarantee you'll enjoy it!



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that making our ss create avatars would benefit the shiest ones. As sb recommended me, I think it would be a good idea to use this activity for ss to introduce themselves at the very beginning of the academic year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Laura!
      Yes, I agree with you, I think avatars could be used as a good icebreaker. Perhaps we could even have our students design avatars for each other once they know each other a bit more and then explain why they chose that for their classmate...You never know, someone might see in you something you don't! What do you think?

      Delete